Thursday, May 11, 2006

Cruel Justice

I was speeding on a 300 mi trek from MD to Slippery Rock, PA. Being a cheap skate I had avoided the PA Turnpike and all the other tolls and was within 10 mi of my destination. It was 3 am on some two lane highway and I was on the downside of some hill accelerating. As I rolled up the otherside of the next hill I see flashing lights behind me. I guess he knew I and others would be coming.

So I get a ticket for $75 fine, $75 admin fee. I was so frustrated. My vacation had just accrued a $150 expense.

When I got home I paid the fine, and on the check I wrote $75 fine, $75 for donuts and coffee. I thought I had voiced my tacid disapproval and felt the sweet victory of vindication for such an unjustice.

To my chagrin, the payment was refused, and the invoice for the ticket sent back to me, with the $150 crossed out, and $160 written in. Was I going to go 300 miles to court. Certainly not paying would cause my state to be notified and points on my liscense and insurance rates go up.

I had no choice but to pay it. Boy did it hurt to write that check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home