Thursday, December 15, 2005

Happy Birthday Pop

You know, I haven't hung out in graveyards too often. An occasional funeral here and there in the daylight on a fairly comfortable day. However, yesterday was my father's first birthday A.D., so I was bound to be visiting him as his new residence. On the way there I thought about how much I appreciate him being close by . . . about 15 miles from work, as opposed to another 15 had he opted for the military cemetary in Hurlock.
As for the weather, Dad's birthday is on Dec 14 - and yesterday was cold. Getting to the cemetary at 530pm made it dark and cold. That is OK, it adds to the solemnity of the occasion. There was a full moon out passing through the clouds, and the solar cross was nicely illuminated. So I put a coat down (army surplus army wool blanket) and proceeded to watch my video dedication I did for my Dad's funeral on my PDA. Modern technology what a hoot!
So, I couldn't watch all 20 minutes so I watched 2 of 5 portions, my eulogy and taps, cried a good heave and then determined I was cold. I tried to take a couple of pictures, but they didn't turn out. I said a prayer to God and Dad and headed out. Now that might sound weird, but the Catholics pray to the saints, and my Dad is a saint to me. I am darn thankful that he and I were on good terms. Many people are not. I hope they can overcome that deficiency when they have children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home